The Illinois State Police Merit Board is currently processing applications for Cadet Class 127, tentatively scheduled for February 2018. In order to be considered for Cadet Class 127, the Merit Board must receive a completed application and required documentation by July 15, 2017. Interested candidates are encouraged to review ISP’s requirements. Online applications can be found on the ISP website.
The Illinois State Police Merit Board has set the following minimum requirements for persons applying for an Illinois State Trooper position. Trooper candidates must be at least 21 years old to apply.
1) An applicant cannot have been convicted of a felony.
2) An applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
3) An applicant must possess a valid driver’s license at the time of completing the application.
4) An applicant must be willing to accept an assignment anywhere in the State.
5) An applicant must have completed the education requirements which can be found on the ISP Merit Board’s pre-employment requirements.
“In addition and pursuant to Public Act 100-0011, any person who has been honorably discharged who served in a combat mission by proof of hostile fire pay or imminent danger pay during deployment on active duty, or has served 3 years of full active and continuous military duty and received an honorable discharge, meets the collegiate educational requirement of the Illinois Department of State Police.”
Applicants who are 20 years old may apply if they have met “Option 4” of ISP’s education requirements.